Monday 17 June 2013

Citrus Cheesecake


I found this recipe by googling. It fulfilled my cheesecake recipe requirements of the day:
1. to involve lemon
2. not to involve mascarpone

I didn't use the breadcrumb base it suggested, opting instead for a tried and tested crushed digestive biscuit and melted butter combination.
I am recording it here as the recipe only listed 250g of cream cheese for the 7 inch tin. Now, maybe my tin was bigger than 7 inches but I don't think it was (I shall measure, perhaps) and this level of cheesecake topping is simpy stingy so next time, I will need to use more. And yes, I am inconsistent in my use of cups/ounces/grammes.

Ingredients:
for the base:
150g of crushed digestives
2.5 oz of butter

1. Melt the butter, mix it into the crushed digestives, press it into the bottom of your removable-base cake tin so that it forms a base.

for the cheesecake topping:
500g of cream cheese (yes, I am fully doubling it, this thickness was pathetic)
1 lemon - juice and zest
1 orange - juice and zest
100g icing sugar

1. Let the cream cheese soften a bit to make things easier
2. Mix up all the ingredients in a bowl - I used a whisk attachment on my hand held electric mixer
3. Spoon and pour mixture on top of the biscuit base you made
4. Put in the fridge for a few hours to set. I put it in the freezer for a bit too as it seemed to be taking too long in the fridge. Or maybe I am just greedy.
5. Decorate as you fancy or don't bother decorating at all. I used raspberries as I also made raspberry coulis.

Raspberry coulis
6oz raspberries (this was a half pint container, a bit more than a cup)
1/4 cup of sugar
approx 1/4 cup of water

1. Put the water, sugar and raspberries into a saucepan
2. Heat until boiling on medium high and then reduce to medium low
3. Keep it on the heat, stirring occasionally until you're happy with the consistency - it will set a bit when cooled.
4. Blend it with a hand blender.
5. Lots of recipes called for sieving at this stage - I started sieving but couldn't be bothered. My coulis was perhaps more of a runny jam but it was very tasty. This made about a small cream/milk jug of coulis.

No comments:

Post a Comment